Thursday, January 26, 2006

Pizza, sunshine and skiing

Tuesday night is pizza night in Fernie, thanks to a company called Elk Valley Pizza who had the genius idea that on a Tuesday evening, they would sell ANY size pizza with ANY three toppings (apart from the cheese and tomato bits) for ten bucks. That's a fiver, people! A fiver for a dinner fit for a king!

Needless to say, the pizza shop usually sell out of pizza by 8.30pm, mainly cos every house in Fernie orders in on a Tuesday. We got nine large pizzas, and sat there stuffing our faces and watching Fear Factor on TV (it's a great show over here that I think we have in the UK, where mindless yanks do unbelievably dumb things that are quite scary to win 50 grand). Yup... that's how rock and roll we are...

Let the hoovering begin!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Wednesday morning dawned cold, and very clear. So clear, that there were no clouds in the sky and we had some serious sunshine. It's hard to stay in bed when there's a fantastic mountain range bearing down on you when you walk past the window, so we decided to make a mad scramble to get up there relatively early, and Baden, Jethro and I decided to go skiing as there was no new snowfall and the slopes were pretty hard and icy.

It was an excellent decision as conditions were perfect for some skiing. I have a little observation about Fernie. I notice that their slope grooming skills aren't rally up to par with that in Europe as there are lots of little bumps and ruts in the pistes which I don't notice when I'm on the board, but notice A LOT when I'm on skis! So I had to concentrate a little more than usual, but I think I'm getting my skiing legs back again, which feels really good.

An enticing view on the drive to the hill
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The famous Fernie sign - I don't think this has made an appearance here yet, which is surprising!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

From the Deer chairlift, another great view of one of the ridges
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Matty, Baden and Hamish basking in some rare sunshine
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My skiing skills (or lack thereof) in glorious technicolour!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home