Powderoomie Potluck!
We've had some friends staying for the last week in the form of Jenn and Steve plus their two little angels Rachel and Ryan (and I mean angels - best behaved kids I've ever met!). Jenn is a fellow powderoomie, by which I mean she is a member of the powderoom.net forum and someone who I've wanted to meet for a while.
As a powderoomie, she's been hearing all about Fernie on the forum for years now, so she wanted to experience it for herself and decided to take a holiday here with the rest of the family. Jenn is a snowboarder, Steve is a skier and the kids flit between the two but mainly ski. Lisa and I met up with Jenn on Monday and we went for an all-girls day on the mountain while Steve got whisked off to have fun with the boys and the kids went to ski school. The weather had closed in and it was very misty with zero visibility but we had a great day nonetheless. I was slightly concerned that we had maybe bigged up Fernie a bit too much and it was going to be a crashing dissappointment for the them, but I was very glad to hear that they were enjoying it more and more as each day passed.
By the time we met them again on Thursday night, they'd had a great week by all accounts and were thinking of coming back, seeing the potential that Fernie resort has in abundance. Phew!
We had a traditional potluck dinner at their accomodation on the hill at Timberline Loddge - the apartments up there are just lovely. Log fires, nice kitchen, huge rooms, very spacious! So much nicer than the European accomodation I'm used to! Jenn is an avid reader of this blog so he knows how much I love potluck dinners! We had such a nice evening, and it was great to meet them properly and have a good natter. Lisa and I were saying just the other day that we always seem to strike it lucky and meet such lovely people via the powderroom!
Jethro is still recovering from his fight with the tree, but he went riding for the first time yesterday and fared pretty well. I donned a pair of skis for the first time in 6 years! It went OK... I felt like I was all over the place with limbs everywhere... I guess the only way I can liken my style is to that of a baby giraffe that's taking it's first steps! The snow has been great - if anything there was too much of it for me to get to grips with my skiing again as it was lumpy with heavy powder. Give me a nice bit of hardpack, corduroy snow on a sunny day and I'm happy so I'll choose my next skiing day with care!
Jethro and Dave went on a trip to Alberta a few days ago and went to a fascinating town called Frank - they've got some great pics which Jethro will post up at some stage soon.
Potluck dinner time! Yummy!

The powderoom girlies, plus my new moose which Jenn got me - it's dressed as a mountie and it jiggles to the Canadian national anthem and EVERYTHING! How cool is that? Now Choccy will have a friend to play with...

For fear of this turning into a girlie post, here's a picture of the menfolk


1 Comments:
Great pics. We had a good week and it was so much fun to meet all of you. Thanks. Jenn and fam.
Post a Comment
<< Home