Day Twelve. A bit more Banff
Feeling somewhat relieved that hypothermia didn't set in the night before, we took a drive out to visit Lake Minnewanke (snigger) because it sounds rude (tee hee). On the way back, we went for a wander around Bankhead – an old deserted mining town that was demolished in the 1930s but the ruins still remain. There was a very interesting interpretive trail that wound around the site for an hour to keep us occupied.

See - we don't make this stuff up

Lake Minnewanke itself. (I can't help it. I giggle every time!)

Playing around in the ruins at Bankhead

I take a slightly more serene approach to the trail
We then drove to Johnston Canyon for a bigger hike. We marvelled in the beauty of the upper and lower falls but decided to hike on to the Ink Pots – a four hour round trip. I knew something was up when Jethro wanted to turn back for a cuppa and a slice of cake, but we persevered none-the-less, even if it was a killer last three kms uphill and downdale – but worth it to see these cool little mineral pools in the middle of nowhere.

The canyon

Another crazy tree picture (we just can't help ourselves)

The lower falls

Jethro does his 'I'm a little pixie' pose

The inkpots
We decided to staying in the relative sanctuary of an HI hostel that evening, but we opted for a shared room so as not to be too luxurious. Hot showers that didn’t last five minutes or less were a real novelty, and we went for dinner at the Elk and Oarsmen again - $8 for a steak sandwich – BARGAIN!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home